Wednesday, February 22, 2012

WIP Wednesday: QAYG Part of the Story!

I'm quite pleased with myself this week. Leah Day's homework was to join quilted blocks in a QAYG method. I have experimented with a couple of different methods, and had started my Storybook quilt with this in mind. So the homework this week was the perfect "kick in the pants" to work on this quilt again.

All 20 block squared, ready to join

I joined the first row of blocks, then joined the second row.

I then joined the first two rows together. I really worked to get my seams to line up from row to row.

I have a confession. I'm good at math, I have a degree in math, I'm good at calculations and figuring measurements, I've run whole departments (quality control) that do nothing but measure things. I messed up the measurements on this quilt. I squared up these block to 15 1/2" x 15 1/2", thinking the seam allowance would make them 15" squares. But the seams "butt" and the block remains 15 1/2". Not that this will harm the quilt, I just didn't catch that the quilt top doesn't get any smaller when you join the blocks.

See how the top to joined rows are the same size as the unjoined rows??!!
So my question for Leah this week is about quilt size. I'm planning to make my Storybook quilt a twin sized quilt. I will be adding a small border. Do I need to worry about making this large a quilt with the QAYG method? Is there anything I need to do to make sure I don't make it "wavy"?

On to other projects this week. I finally finished by Hip To Be Square/ Free Motion Sampler quilt. All bound, washed and being used on the sofa. You can see some more of the quilting on this quilt here and here.
You can see why so many of my quilts are teal and green.
 I also had, what I think, was a successful tutorial/guest blog on my Gothic Windows block.
Gothic Windows 8 1/2" x 8 1/2". Made with three jelly roll sized strips.
So, my stats this week are:
In-process: (6)
Purple heart wall hanging ( needs borders, backing, quilting and binding)
Expanding Possibilities quilt (needs backing, quilting and binding)
Storybook quilt # 1 -  Started joining block with QAYG method
Storybook quilt # 2 - All embroidery is done
Quokka Quilts QAYGFMQQAL quilt (7 blocks quilted)
Sewing Machine Cover - pieced, basted, started FMQ

New projects in the cue to start: (2)
FLMQG solids challenge crib quilt (started my Urban Nine Patch)
New Wave quilt (not started)


Finished (2)
Presented my new block (Gothic Windows) with tutorial for guest blog at Happy Quilting.
Hip To Be Square/Free Motion Sampler
 

I'm linking up with Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday, The Free Motion Quilting Project for Quilt A Long Wednesday!




WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced


 






 



Color Me Quilty!


Pat

12 comments:

  1. ooo- that Gothic windows block is beautiful- love the lime! I really like the way your doing your sashing for joining the blocks. I may have to something similar with some of my Skill Builder blocks I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pat. I love your Story Book quilt - very pretty, and the QAYG joining fabric pulls everything together very well. I know what you mean about getting the seams to line up - I had big trouble with that because of the pieces shifting slightly as I sewed. I love the colours in Hip to be Square. All this in one week - you're amazingly productive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pat, Love your story book quilt. Its beautiful. I am starting to see how this technique could be so useful. Love your Hip to be Square quilt too, the colors are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All three of your projects are lovely. Gothic Windows is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great projects. Loved your comment about math - I also have a degree in math and periodically screw things up! Guess we are just human! I love the teals and green in the Hip to be square quilt.~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had an amazing week! Wow - such lovely projects too. I've been fascinated by the QAYG method (I just HATE quilting large bed-size quilts on my home sewing machine). Maybe I'll follow Leah Day's instructions and try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE your Hip to be Square quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I vote for Storybook! Exquisite work -

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a great job with your storybook. I like it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so nice to see such a pretty outdoor picture. give some hope that spring is truly right around the corner!

    Your storybook quilt is great! I love the colors on the Gothic Windows. You've been very busy! I'm hoping to be busy this afternoon after work.

    ReplyDelete