Tuesday, March 6, 2012

QAYGFMQQAL Row 3

Oh I like it when I can catch up, even if it's just for a little while. Last night I decided to FMQ row three of Quokka Quilts QAYGFMQQAL. I'm quite happy with my results.

Stitched this as my extra block from week 1

These blocks were lots of fun to stitch. I loved the thread build up on the "Landscape" block. Now I needed to stitch another block, since my quilt is 5 blocks wide. I had started this block for row 2, but had put it aside, because I was having skipped stitches. Since these other blocks had stitched up so beautifully, I decided to finish the block.
I started getting skipped stitches again! I'm using Aurifil thread and Alex Veronelli had helped me with a previous problem, one of the suggestions he had was "Warm and Natural has a scrim in it which can affect the quilting.  It also makes a top and bottom to the batting.  The bottom should be the rougher looking side since their needles have punched through the batt and scrim in that direction."
When I looked at the batting direction, sure enough it was backward, textured side up. All of the other blocks that stitched so beautifully had the textured side down. I have to say, it really helps when you actually do what the experts tell you to do!!! Thanks Alex!

Textured side

Smooth side
I guess that's how we learn. Needless to say, I really pleased with my results so far on this quilt.

I'm linking up with Laura at Quokka Quilts for our QAYGFMQQAL and A Quilt Story for Fabric Tuesday!

http://www.quokkaquilts.blogspot.com


Fresh Poppy Design


Color Me Quilty!

Pat

13 comments:

  1. Great work on your FMQ! Before you know it, you'll do it with your eyes closed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The FMQ is gorgeous. I really like the landscape pattern with just a tiny bit of thread build up, give it even more texture and dimension. I really like the last one too, kinda reminds me of bamboo. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blocks! and the colors you've chosen...the tip is well worth the read! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew that about batting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use mostly Hobbs 80/20 these days because it is more readily available in my area for some reason than Warm and Natural. I knew that W&N has a top and bottom side but I didn't know it could cause skipped stitches when sandwiched wrong!! I have had skipped stitches when using a different weight thread on the top and bobbin. Also when using the wrong needle for the fabrics/job. I never thought to check the batting though. I'll file this tip away for next time. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great tip about batting! i never knew there was a "up" side!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilting is looking fantastic! I really like the 1st block with the leaves... gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am over here visiting from Lynn's blog. I'm an Aurifil lover, too. :-) That's really interesting about the batting direction. I will have to pay more attention to how I have it laid out from now on. Thanks!

    P.S. I'm about to start the Urban 9-Patch quilt, because I saw what Lynn was doing with it. I was teasing her, saying it was all her fault I'm about to embark on YET ANOTHER project (as if I don't have enough UFOs around....LOL. After reading her post today, I see you're the one who got her going on that. So, I guess you're actually the one I should be blaming. I guess I can let Lynn off the hook now. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your FMQ looks awesome Pat! I will definately be looking for right and wrong sides on batting now. I really like the green colour on the 'sea oats' block :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. You may have just solved my FMQ problem with this top and bottom side thing. I'll have to go check how my latest quilt sandwich Is oriented! Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to see your stitching - great work! Thanks for the tip about the batting too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blocks look great! Thanks so much for the batting tip - who knew?! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks awesome! You've done a really good job with these! :)

    ReplyDelete