Sunday, October 14, 2012

Clue: In the Library....

....with a sewing machine, Pat @ Color Me Quilty finally finishes the Library Kids Quilt!

Best picture I could get today, because it's pouring rain outside!!!
Last February, I held a class with 4 kids at the Geneva Public Library to let them learn about quilts and quilting. Each of the girls and two librarians did some fused applique on 12 inch blocks.

These are the blocks I came home with from the library
And this is how they sat, until Leah Day started UFO Sunday, which FINALLY got me working on this project.

I added two embroidered blocks and colorful borders around each block. I needed the borders because I wanted to do this in a QAYG  (quilt as you go) method.

I had never done raw edge applique and I was a little nervous about stitching around each element in the blocks.

This was the toughest block because of the multiple layers of fused applique. It was kind of like stitching through cardboard.
Echo quilted and a few swirls thrown in to add movement without taking away from the kid's art.
I used white 50 wt. Aurifil thread for both the piecing and quilting. This thread is thin and gives texture without taking away from the quilt design.  The quilt is approximately 53" X 53". I hope the library has a wall space big enough for this quilt.

I'm pleased with how this quilt turned out and I'm thrilled it's done!  So today I'm linking up with the Free Motion Quilting Project for UFO Sunday and Quilt Matters for TGIFF. This is also a finish for Quilter in the Gap 4th quarter Finish-A-Long.

UFO Sundays on the Free Motion Quilting Project
 
 

2012 Finish-A-Long

Color Me Quilty!

Pat

5 comments:

  1. Well done for getting it finished! It looks lovely, I'm sure that the children will be really proud to see it on display!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Way to go, Pat! It looks lovely, especially your quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful, love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it great how inspiring this UFO Sunday is! We're getting out UFOs and getting them done! Yours is wonderful - and makes you and the kids happy! ha ha at TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go - it will brighten up your library for sure!

    ReplyDelete