Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Dark Mark

Sorry, I'm a Harry Potter fan and I just couldn't help myself. But what else would you label a post that talks about marking on dark fabric??? Anyway....

I have been playing around with how to get koi onto my Koi Pond quilt. I've tried machine embroidery twice, both not as successful as I want (see here and here). So I decided to FMQ the fish. But first I had to mark the fish on the Navy fabric. So I decided to use Don Linn tutorial from Sew Cal Gal last April, which I had used before, but only on light fabric.

Matte Black Tulle!!! You only need enough tulle to fit into your hoop, but I got two yards to have it on hand.
I headed out to good old JoAnn's to pick up some matte black tulle, a bargain at $1.04 a yard. I also found a silver Sharpie pen there and a chalk pencil.



Use the silver Sharpie to trace your drawing onto the tulle. Make sure it's just a copy of your drawing because the silver Sharpie will go right through onto your paper. Also remember to heat set the tulle after you mark it with the silver marker. You don't want it to bleed onto your fabric.

I was a little amazed at how well it shows up on the dark fabric. Now just take the chalk pencil and trace in onto your fabric. The pencil will mark right through the tulle.

Voila' ! Perfectly marked fabric ready to stitch (okay, I have to make a quilt sandwich first.)
 I can't believe I've shied away from making the DARK MARK for so long. This was easy peasy! Now all I have to do it stitch out this little sample to see how it goes.

Today I'm linking up with A Quilt Story for Fabric Tuesday and Free Motion by the River for Linky Tuesday.

Color Me Quilty!

Pat

12 comments:

  1. Cool! I need to go shopping and get some chalk pencils.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fish, I can't wait to see how he turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you found the perfect solution! I can't wait to see it all quilted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the tip. Can't wait to see the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I'm a Harry Potter fan to :) Love your title.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How very clever! It's a lovely drawing and such a unique way to transfer it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made it look easy! Can't wait to see it quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really cool idea! I will have to try this! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial and what a neat Koi fish! Can't wait to see more of this! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks really cool! I can't wait to see the little guy finished.

    ReplyDelete