Monday, June 10, 2013

Stratified Layers

Well, I've finally picked back up on my layers quilt. I got the nine blocks pieced, but they are not trimmed yet and look kind of strange. I'm planning on large sashing strips between the blocks.
 The design is meant to look like stratified layers of earth.  The layers represent different times and events in life and the separated blocks represent different components in life (i.e. family, job, hobbies, etc.)
 The curves were all done free-hand. I created blocks of oranges strips and stacked the navy block on top, cutting gentle curves. It really wasn't as hard as I had feared.

I'm planning on quilting each block first, trimming it and attaching the sashing using the wide strip method of QAYG.  Of course it goes without saying, that I will be FMQ the snot out of this. Let the fun begin.

As you can see, I was also able to get my design wall up this weekend. Good thing, because this quilt is big! Each block is over 20" square, it will be queen sized when I'm done.

Sew what have you been working on this weekend?

Color Me Quilty!

Pat

P.S. Linking up with Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times
Fabric Tuesday at A Quilt Story
Linky Tuesday at Free Motion by the River 

12 comments:

  1. I love what this represents, Pat! It's beautiful, you're so brave for trimming, I'd be too scared!
    This weekend I worked on some wine totes and cutting fabric for a new quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this Pat, it is very unusual and a bit out of what I think of as your style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! How did the design process work. The waves all match perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really interesting. I love the waviness of the orange and how it pops against the navy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! I really like this one. Looking forward to seeing how you quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a FUN design Pat!!! I can't wait to watch you FMQ this one - all that wonderful open area for playing - YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. An interesting project...looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the design, the movement and the color. And I am glad to hear that the gentle curves are easier than they look. You said the blocks ended up at 20 inches; what size did you start with? I"ve been wondering how much I lose with that method.
    clairealex at gmail dot com (blogger doesn't send may addy)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clever,clever blocks! The orange is very striking:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This quilt is so cool! I love the colors and what the quilt represents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to see it quilted! 20 inches is a great size for the FMQ as you go I really want to try this method some day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great symbolism!!!!
    Very curious to see what it will look like once finished! Lots of fun and good luck!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete